Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

You could get between £23.60 and £151.40 a week if you’re aged 16 or over and have not reached State Pension age.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll be assessed by a health professional to work out the level of help you can get. Your rate will be regularly reviewed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.

If you get Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people aged 16 to 64.

You can keep getting DLA if you’re under 16 or you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and have an existing claim.

You’ll continue getting DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) invites you to apply for PIP. You do not need to do anything until DWP writes to you about your DLA unless your circumstances change.

If you’ve reached State Pension age, you can apply for Attendance Allowance.

Help with PIP

You can contact a local support organisation or Citizens Advice to get help understanding PIP.

Click here to find out more

National Numbers


Offers help and support , they hold group meetings where you can meet other people and will be offered help on ways to cope.


Tel: 07813 596505 Or 01482 870577


Regional Numbers

Mind –
01482 240200

Mind –
01296 437328

Mind –
01744 677058

Mind –
01302 812190

Mind –
020 8788 0070

Mind –
0151 4953 991

Mind –
01264 332297

Mind –
01622 692383

Huntingdon Cambridge
Mind –
01223 311320

Mind –
01455 890168

Exeter Devon
Mind –
01392 204493

Berkeley Gloucestershire
Mind –
01453 54739